Thursday 8 September 2011

On a sunny autumn day I went foraging...

On Thursday I went for a bike ride in the September sunshine to forage for Autumn fruit. We didn't get very far out of the village as we were on the hunt for blackberries, rosehips and sloes. We didn't have a plan of what we would actually make with them but as the hedgerows are ladened with them and my parents want to create a jam menu for their B&B, me and my dad hopped on our bikes and went searching.


So here is what I have learnt when foraging for blackberries, rosehips and sloes:
  1. Rosehips are evil, they have thorns which make the rosehips seem like they don't want to be picked - take gardening gloves!
  2. The same goes for Sloes.
  3. Backberries live in bushes where stinging nettles, rosehips and holly live - again, take gardening gloves!
  4. It takes a long time to get a small amount of fruit.
  5. Cycling in a pencil skirt is very difficult.

To come: Port, Sloe and Blackberry Jelly, and Apple and Rosehip Jelly recipes.

Pictures: (left to right) Sloes, Rosehips, and my fruit-stained hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment