Saturday 7 January 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Week 2. Bake 2.

My brother is home this week and out of all of the bakes on my list he wanted me to bake a red velvet cake, so being the good little sister I am, my bake this week is Red Velvet Cupcakes.


I have never had Red Velvet Cupcakes let alone made them. So here is the recipe for my Red Velvet Cupcakes.

(on a different matter, I have just learnt how to spell ingredients - so chuffed as I am dyslexic!).

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons of red food colouring
  • 1 tablespoon of cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
  • 60g of salted butter (room temperature)
  • 150g of caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 120ml of buttermilk
  • 140g of sifted plain flour
  • 10g of sifted corn flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar
  • American butter cream icing
Method:
  1. In a small bowl mix the cocoa powder together with the red food colouring. Add the vanilla essence.
  2. In a separate bowl beat the room temperature butter together with the sugar until light and fluffy. This took me about 5-6 minutes as I don't have a Kitchenaid mixer sadly, so I beat all my cakes by hand until I can afford one.
  3. Now beat the egg in a cup, and slowly add it to the butter/sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly.
  4. Now add the cocoa mixture to the big bowl and beat it for a minute or so.
  5. Pour in half of the buttermilk and beat it into the mixture, then add half of the flour (add the plain flour and the corn flour together to do this).
  6. Now beat the mixture, add the rest of the buttermilk, beat it in and then add the final amount of flour.
  7. At this point add the final ingredients, the vinegar and the baking soda into the cupcake mixture and mix for a minute or two.
  8. Now put the cupcakes into cases and bake at 170c for 20 minutes.
  9. Once they come out of the oven, leave them for a minute in the tin and then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack.
  10. The finish off the cupcakes with either cream cheese frosting or butter cream icing (like I did).

I don't think that I will make these cupcakes again, for one reason, I don't like the fact that they are basically chocolate cupcakes and yet they are red. Chocolate cupcakes should be chocolate coloured. Another reason why I don't think I will make them again is that they are not my regular cupcake recipe and as a result I don't think they are as light and fluffy. (Check back for my cupcake recipe). So as recipes go, its not the best, but it tastes good!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment