Saturday 12 May 2012

Wild garlic tear and share bread

Week 20, Bake 20.
I have been quite busy this past week, with mine and my mums birthday, work and my parents dropping off the rest of the furniture to my flat (not to mention this stinking cold I have). So I decided that Saturday afternoon would be my baking day, to relax the mind and to hopefully make me feel better after this cold. So I saw a recipe for tear and share garlic bread and then as I was driving back from the recycling centre (the long route as it is a sunny day and I was feeling adventurous) I saw some wild garlic growing. I pulled over and picked a bunch as the season is very short and decided that today's bake will be wild garlic tear and share bread.

Ingredients:
  • 315ml of lukewarm milk
  • 2 tsp of fast action yeast
  • 2 tsp of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
  • 500g of strong white bread flour
  • 2tsp of salt
  • 100g of butter
  • a small handful of wild garlic
  • A good grating of Parmesan
Method:
  1. Pour the sugar and yeast into the warm milk and whisk quickly with a fork. Now leave it to rest for 5-7 minutes, until it is frothy.
  2. Meanwhile pour the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
  3. Now add the oil to the yeast and pour the whole mixture into the flour and knead it together.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and continue kneading it for 10 minutes.
  5. Put the dough into a oiled bowl and (I use an oiled shower cap instead of cling film to allow the dough to rise) put the dough in a warm place and leave it to double in size for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
  6. Now prepare the garlic butter. Finely chop the wild garlic leaves and beat them into the softened butter.
  7. Melt the butter and garlic and leave it to cool.
  8. Now beat down the dough and divide it into small balls.
  9. Roll each ball in the butter and then pop it into a oiled cake tin in a honeycomb pattern.
  10. After one layer, grate some Parmesan over the top then create another layer with the garlic balls.
  11. Allow it to rise again in a warm place for 30 minutes or so, meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 175c.
  12. Cook for 25-30 minutes and then tear and share!


2 comments:

  1. I am featuring your bread this week over at Addicted to Recipes! I'm also tweeting, pinning, and posting on Facebook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummm, I am definately pinning this. Perfect for lunch with a bowl of soup :) Visiting from Addicted to Recipes.

    ReplyDelete